Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Gobi Desert, Mongolia.

What is so amazing about Gobi desert? Gobi stands for dry land in Mongolia. It covers part of northern China and the southern part of Mongolia. Many important trade routes once ply through the Gobi desert, renowned as part of the Great Mongol Empire. The largest desert in Asia and fifth largest in the world, Gobi desert is an important source for fossils finding including many dinosaur eggs found. One of the biggest findings by paleontologists was a stunning 67 dinosaur skeletons in a week! If it's already makes you wonder about Gobi, there is more to follow.



We arrived in Dalanzagad airport in the morning from Ulaanbaatar after a 90 minutes flight. While expecting someone to pick us when we arrive, we were left sitting at a corner for almost 25 minutes when all passengers left. It’s a small airport and turning my head right to left 90 degree at one corner I can see the whole airport holding area.
One stern looking young man in his early twenties with a dark sunglass was left standing at the pickup point. My subconscious mind tells me it’s better to wait for him to acknowledge us in case he is a con artist. Next moment, the guy walked out of the airport and I was glad with my sound decision. Shortly, one lady came to us speaking in halting English trying to pronounce my name. Its Alimaa, she is our guide and that stern face guy was the driver. I had over reacted but guess it harmless to exercise that extra caution while in a foreign land. They have been in the airport before we even clear the immigration but they had assume us to be Caucasian, moreover we look like local Mongolian to them.
After stocking up water at the city centre of Dalanzagad, we headed straight for Yolyn Am, Valley of Eagles in Mongolian. The moment our vehicle drive from the paved road on to dirt road, the boundless steppe in front of us soon cast its spell. The wobbly and uncomfortable ride seems to be subjugated by the tranquil sight. Witnessing the thick layer of ice in the gorge of Yolyn Am this hot summer now fills my mind. Arriving and entering the park we are greet by a picturesque rocky mountains with nice a blue sky.

We follow a little rivulet down to the gorge where the winter ice was. It is not difficult to understand as you can instantaneously feel the temperature different in it as the sun was block by the unique rocky mountains formation.
We were told the park is home to many fauna including endangered Argali sheep and snow leopards. We were not so fortunate to have a glimpse of those animals. However there were many pikas all over and few eagles hovering above us. The sensation of having eagles above us and the yellow greenish pasture surrounded by towering mountains; couple with the climate just made it phenomenal! I am missing Gobi now.
How I wish I could pitch a tent and stay in the park the next time I revisit. Well our guide had forgotten to offer us lunch and our stomachs were grumbling. Alimaa is a English teacher in Mongolian; her husband was a politician if I am not mistaken. It was their school vacation, during which many teachers took up assignment as tour guide as they could communicate in simple English. I had mix feelings when I heard that, as tour guiding is a specialize field to me where history, geography and knowledge on the place of interest is important. I was wondering why she is giving me such a veracious account of herself. She could easily say she is a veteran in the industry and I wouldn't know. En route to our camp, my mind become more inquisitive not only in this country but their people as well. The stomach growl again and I was looking forward for our first Gobi meal.